Monday, March 15
Saturday night we went to The Comedy Store on Sunset, which is the first LA comedy club owned by Pauly Shore's mom. There were about 10 stand up comics who were all funny as hell. I haven't heard the word "Fuck" and "Shit" used in so many variations within a 3 hour period. It was a consensus amongst my friends that Bobby Lee was the funniest that night. Apparently he's on Mad TV. He brought up an awesome point in his bit:
Why do our non-asain friends still refer to us as "my asain friend..." to others? You don't refer to your hispanic friends as "my mexican friend." Can you imagine if you were going around saying "This is my black friend Jamal"? So fucking rude! Can't we just be your FRIEND?
This is so true. I've always noticed how some friends repeatedly do this even though we've known each other for years. I could understand if me being asain is relevant to the conversation, but otherwise it is so damn rude (now that Bobby Lee has pointed it out)! This is 2004 man. Can't Asain-Americans get some PC justice? Shit, we've done it for the Blacks and the Browns, can't the Yellows be accepted too? What about the homosexuals you ask? This is different from the gays. In any instance, it is almost always relevant to refer to them as "my gay friend Jason" when talking about them. Think about it.
Back to the yellow peeps. Ok, this has got to be the most ignorant thing I've ever heard: "Desiree, my friend thinks you're so cool and she said the sweetest thing. She's like, 'She's so pretty you don't even notice that she's asain.' " Oh how sweet of her- What the fuck?! I was really having problems understanding the implications of that one.
We could have a panel discussion on the misrepresentations of Asain-Americans, I know. I'll save that for another day. But as not to sound self-centered, I acknowledge that there are a multitude of minorities trying to gain the same acceptance. But come on people, can't we get an asain dude and a cool non-Korean chick on The Real World already? |
|