Tuesday, November 23
Day 5: Sunday
In the morning we walk to North Jaco where a Beach Volleyball and Surfing contest was going on. We sneak into a sweet Hotel Resort which we learn is the Best Western. We're baffled by how nice it is. Back at the hotel we rent Darryl's 7'6 and 7'8 boards and take em out for a whirl. I was really hesitant about going into the ocean on my very own but it turned out to be ok and I had a really great time (catching white wash of course). A guy named Micheal approached us and gave us some helpful surfing tips. He said he saw us taking lessons on Thursday. He's orginally from Florida but now resides in Jaco, working as a surf instructor and doing web design or something like that for this business I'll get to in a second. We meet his friend Doug and the 4 of us play some frisbee. Entirely parched, I ask if I could get some water. I don't remember how I knew they had the beachfront house we were standing next to, but they were very friendly about inviting us in to hang out. We enter to discover this amazing courtyard with a beautiful pool. As I laid on the hammock having a beer, I learned from Doug that this Villa is one of the few properties him and his partners rent out during the year. The entire place is designed and furnished by a woman Spanish artist who did an incredible job. It begins to pour but it felt so great that we just stood in the rain and looked out onto the beach from the back porch. They called a cab for us and invited us back for dinner. I could tell that Christie, as well as I, was skeptical about our safety, so we gave a cordial "sure..." and Michael offered his phone number so we could confirm later. Once we departed from the "hacienda," as we coined it, we were so giddy in amazement at the beautiful home.
Back in "downtown" Jaco, we run into the funny Holland guys. We run to the beach to catch the sunset at 5:15pm. Gringos, Ticos and doggies alike were on the beach enjoying and sharing the amazing view.
We decided the hacienda guys were harmless and returned for a fabulous Tuna, broccoli and rice dinner. Fresh Tuna on the grill. mmm. Ronnie came home. Really cool guy with 2 sons he absolutely adores. We smoked some potent fresh grass then hopped on quads for a crazy, adrenaline rush ride up the mountain with Doug and Ronnie. From the top of the hill, we overlooked all of Jaco. There were no bright lights around or even a moon to disturb the view. After that we went back to town, got a free drink at Nacho Daddy's (Ladies' Night again), and hit the sack so we could surf again early in the morning. |
|